Saturday, February 22, 2014

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

    
Through the ever Night by Veronica Rossi
2nd book to the Under the Never Sky Series
Cover rating: 4 out of 5
Writing style: 4 out of 5
Story: 4.5 out of 5
Overall: 4 out of 5

    I just finished rereading Through the Ever Night yesterday and I was surprised by how surprised I am when I am reading the book. I've already read this book last year and I already forgot the important details that I should remember. I realized that it's a smart move for me to reread it again before devouring the last book of the series which is Under the Never Sky. I have to admit that it's hard to get sucked into their world at first, maybe because there are a lot of things going on, with the Aether, Tides and whatnot. But I honestly liked this book a lot compared to the first one, or maybe not. I liked the first and this book, no more, no less. I read this for a week and it makes me sad to think that I only finished one book this week just because I've been busy with college, so I'm sorry if I've been inactive these past few days. I might read 1 book per week now that finals already started. Anyway, I didn’t even notice that I was already a few pages away from finishing the book—that’s how fast-paced it is. Each chapter is so necessary, like there’s not dull moment in every chapter. It’s a page turner. I liked how Aria’s and Perry’s point of view differ, Aria is sweet but strong and Perry is always guarded and aware of everything.

    The world that Veronica Rossi created is not the world that I would want to live in just because of the dreaded Aether and how this storm gets crazy and unpredictable. However, it’s very interesting because who would’ve thought of such place? This book takes place in the future where everything is already at stake because of the “global warming”. Not really global warming but something like that.  This Aether is a pain in the ass for the people living in their world. There are two kinds of people: the Dwellers and the Savages (+the Croven). They are under the sky of Aether who does nothing but ruin everything, the crops, and their houses and it also kills people. Thet’s basically the plot of the story, the love story isn’t really the main focus of this book. Well, in my perspective. If you haven’t read the first book yet, then I think you should! So if you’re into dystopian-type of book, you should try to grab a copy of Under the Never Sky, which is the first book in the trilogy!

       
      Spoiler part now, so if you’re reading this then you’ve probably read this book. I really liked this book even though it’s just bridge to the first and second book. It doesn’t have those plot twists and other things that make the second book that epic. I feel like second books are the hardest to write because it have to act as a bridge as well as an epic installment wherein you can see how these characters progress, the antagonist develop and stuff like that. But despite it having the slight “bad second book syndrome”, it’s a book worth reading, I mean of course if you’re going to pursue on reading the last book. What I didn’t like about it is how I already forgot everything that I’ve read before, I know that I’ve read a lot of books in the past year but I can still remember the story but Through the Ever Night kept on surprising me despite the fact that I’ve already read this. Maybe it’s because I’m not really sucked in their world or what. The world is interesting and that’s always a plus when reading a book, right? I barely noticed that I’m already 40 pages left to finishing the book! Maybe it’s because I already want Perry and Aria to be together again that’s why I’m in a hurry to seeing them together, because when they already met, that’s the time that I’ve noticed that I’m close to the ending. It made me so sad when Aria has to leave Perry just to find Liv and get information of the Still Blue. She should’ve said goodbye to Perry but Aria has a point of leaving without saying goodbye to him, I know that Perry wouldn’t let her; I know that Perry would choose her over the Tides.

    I love how the Tides KINDA accepted Aria after the rage of the Aether storm. How she sang for them in her beautiful voice with Roar beside her. But I hated how the Tides didn’t treat her well because it’s pretty obvious that she won’t do any harm and she wants to do is fit in. Can’t the Tides see that? I know if I’m from the outside of the Pod, I’d probably hate the Dwellers too since they lived they happy life while they suffer from the Aether, but still. . . I find them truly immature for that. I was so tensed when Aria was still in the tribe because 1) everyone glares at her 2) no one talks to her except Roar and the turtle-falcon figurine 3) Perry doesn’t talk to her much 4) Flea is the only one in the tribe who likes her and 5) someone hated her so much that he poisoned her. Gray is such a jealous fool. How can he poison a person like that? Is he willing to kill her just because he doesn't have a Sense or maybe common sense? Everyone in the tribe is just like him. Gray is the mere representation of the Tides. I find Perry's tribe very intimidating and they all send off a bad vibe. For example, they don't trust their leader even though they SHOULD be trusting him because in my point of view I can see that Perry is trying his best. Especially that part when Perry saved Old Will's life and they're all mad at him for SAVING A LIFE. I don't know what could get worse than people who find saving a life as a bad thing. I know that Perry is their Blood Lord, but nothing happened to him, okay? In the end he's alive and Old Will is alive. He's a perfect Blood Lord! He's willing to sacrifice his own life just to save someone else's. If that would give him the respect he needs then I'm completely fine with the Tribe leaving. The Tides doesn't deserve a great leader like Perry. If they only knew how much it breaks him to be away from Aria, an inch away from her, they'd knew how much Perry treasures them. 

   BUT, I hated how Perry didn't do about it. He barely talked to her during her stay. He didn’t even talk to her, comforted her about the things. All he did was watch her suffer from the bullies in his tribe. Roar on the other hand was different, I was starting to doubt Roar's love for Liv when he did those "beyond" friendly gestures to Aria. If I were Perry I'd be jealous, too. But knowing Aria and having an access to her mind, I know that she wouldn't even dare on cheating on Perry. And knowing Roar, too, I know that he wouldn't do such thing to Liv. But Perry, who was heartbroken and was tempted by the demon, Kirra, that's beyond inexcusable. Roar and Aria were together, alone and lonely! And they didn't even dare to betray Perry. However, our little protagonist, Perry wasn't that loyal after all. Well, he is but he kinda gave in!! Right? Right? I was outraged when I saw the happenings. I felt happy that Kirra planted a "thought" in his brain, jealousy is the perfect revenge. On the side note, I find it really cute when he started over-thinking about Roar and Aria's relationship! Hahaha, it was so cute! And when they finally met!! Hahaha I was cracking up because Roar and Aria wasn't even aware that Perry is jealous. I liked that part even though it made me sad because of the unexpected death of Liv. But I don't think that Liv is dead, I hope that she isn't and I hope that she'd still show up in the last book because if not I'd feel so devastated for Roar, just like I am now and I like Liv so I'd be devastated for myself.


   Soren, oh Soren! Who would've thought that you'd be the kind and my favorite character. Him and Roar are the only characters in the story that actually have a sense of humor, really. When he drove the hovercraft with the Dwellers in it, along with our protagonists, he's the hero of the day!! (besides our duo of course). I'm so excited on how the third book is going to be! How Veronica Rossi would wrap everything  up in a book! I'm so excited to see what the Still Blue looks like, if it exists or not. But whatever happens, I just wish that I'd be good enough to really end a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment