Saturday, February 8, 2014

Just One Year by Gayle Forman


Just One Year by Gayle Forman 
Companion novel of Just One Day by Gayle Forman - 2nd book
Cover rating: 3 out of 5
Writing style: 4.5 out of 5
Story: 3.5 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 out of 5

   Just One Year is the companion novel of Just One Day NOT a sequel. And I was pretty much disappointed by that. I wish Gayle Forman made this book as a sequel, she can add some part of what happened with Wilhelm, his POV helped a lot in understanding him better but I thought that this book will start where Just One Day was left off. I'm interested with what happened to Wilhelm because of what happened during their "one day" together with Allyson. And in this book, my hatred for him somewhat decreased greatly that I felt sad for him in some parts. But of course, I don't want to ruin the reading experience of those who are looking forward to reading Just One Day. I don't actually recommend this book, I think I could've gotten on with my life without reading the series but I think its worth the read, I guess? I'm not sure how to look at this book with pure adoration because it disappointed me but Gayle Forman did a really good job in creating a beautiful duology. Or maybe I'm just not really that into these kind of contemporary novel. If you haven't read Just One Day yet and you need a little synopsis about it check out my past review about the book, or if you're done reading it read the whole review of Just One Day because I've done some ranting on that review. Anyway, this review is going to be short since I'm not really sure how I can do a long one with this novel. But please don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the book, I'm just disappointed in it that's all! If you haven't read the book one yet, and this COMPANION novel, might as well stop here because I might tell some spoilers. 

   I'm pretty much disappointed, like seriously you cannot understand how I felt about this book. I'm okay with the few chapters of Wilhelm POV since I've got to know him better and saw that he did love Allyson in someway that I didn't notice in Allyson's POV. I feel like this book is all about him trying to get over a girl who changed him, and I know that sounds so deep but it's pretty obvious. She did change him. He stopped being a flirt, opened himself for some company, loved his mom more, and got to change into a better person. I loved how in this book, I saw him transform, like really. The part where he told his mom that he's lost, and his mom told him to come to her, not come home. How despite every arguments and misunderstandings, his mom was there for him all along without him being aware of it. To be honest, I shed a tear in that part. When Marjolein told him that the reason why he's never broke. And that really special moment!! That part wherein Wilhelm told Yael about Allyson, that's just so sweet! He haven't been open about anything to her, and when he finally did, he let his mom go to places that he doesn't want to even go back to. I loved that, I really saw him change into a Wilhelm that I got to love. With that, he got at ease with himself, like he's not lost anymore. That's when I realized that the reason why he's been so clamed up-- all those past months that I've got to know him-- is because he just need a mother who'll listen to him. I feel like Wilhelm had been blinded by his "idea" that his mom doesn't really love him or even care about him. I think that he misinterpreted the way that his mom shows his love for him. A lot of things happened to Yael and Wilhelm, when they finally got reunited that's when the realization hit me, that they need each other, they need to support each other because of the loss of Bram and Wilhelm's grandfather. The idea of keeping each other together is what reunited the both of them, so I'm really happy with that part.

     Before Wilhelm got "lost" and all that. I liked the fact that he really did search for Allyson, like in ways that I cannot comprehend he'd actually do just to find her! He went to Mexico, a place that he's never been before just to find her. I felt sad for him, not sad, probably depressed because seeing him long for Allyson that much kinda breaks my heart into emotional pieces. When he was in the movies with his circle, and how the movie of Louise Brooks reminds him of Allyson, and all the memories in Paris. That's just heart-breaking. There are a lot of parts in this book that cracked my heart and felt like my heart is a dried place with infinite cracks created by Wilhelm's thoughts about Allyson. He went overboard just to find Allyson that I felt like in Allyson didn't did the same thing in Just One Day. She just moped around, ruining her life while Wilhelm on the other hand miss her and did something about it. I know that Allyson went to Paris to find answers (not Wilhelm exactly) but Wilhelm, I think, didn't just look and wept for Allyson but instead he made a map to find her with all their memories. Wilhelm didn't let her slip away, he continued being with her in his thoughts and dreams. That's really really sweet. Even though his trip to Mexico was such a total failure, he didn't give up. But something pissed me off during his trip there. They almost saw each other!!!!!!!! Remember the New Year's Party? Allyson was there, and Wilhelm was there, too! SAME PLACE, SAME TIME, SAME ROOM AND SAME AIR TO BREATHE. But it just didn't, like I almost threw the book because of that!!! How can they miss each other like that??? Just how?! I wish that Wilhelm would catch a glance of her then think of it as an imagination, that would've been better or maybe would probably piss me off more, but if that happened I think I would've been somewhat happy because at least Wilhelm saw her! The only thing that made me happy about Wilhelm and Broodje's vacation there is 1) Broodje found someone he could love and 2) Wilhelm found someone who can help him get himself together, he found a friend, Kate.

  As the story move along, he moved on and finally found something he loved and now he's sure of it which is acting. I'm really happy for him, especially when he was having these stage freights that he hadn't encountered before. Getting to know him better is one of the best thing in this book, just like every other book with their main character. I feel ashamed somehow, that I hated him. I appreciated his efforts more in finding Allyson. I liked the book, really but as I've told you it disappointed me A LOT. I was reading the book and when I noticed that there's a few pages left, I literally skimmed until I saw the part where Just One Day ended and it's a one page short!!!! I hate how the ending went, how it's just like that. Not even telling what happened or letting them settle everything before ending the story. *crying blood*. I wish it ended differently, if it did I'd probably like it more than I do now. Anyway, here's a short review about the book!! I'm out of Gayle Forman's books which really makes me sad because I can't get enough of her books. I'm going to wait until 2015 just to read another book of hers! //noooooo 

  So yeah, here's a book review about Just One Year. Going to post more reviews soon since I've finished many books this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment