Monday, February 10, 2014

Hourglass by Claudia Gray


Hourglass by Claudia Gray
Sequel to Stargazer - 3rd book
Cover rating: 3.5 out of 5
Writing style: 5 out of 5
Story: 5 out of 5
Over all: 5 out of 5

   I've been reading this series for a while now, I think last year? The reason why I don't go on a marathon with this series even though I already own all of the books except for Balthazar is because I'm too scared to finish it. I honestly don't know why a lot of people on goodreads hate the books even though I seriously loved Evernight, Stargazer and especially Hourglass. I mean, yeah maybe vampires are too mainstream to begin with but the Evernight series is a whole different world compared to the others. It's action packed and tight with plot twists. I'm going to make a book review about the previous books just because I want to encourage everyone to read the series. A little synopsis about the first book, Evernight! I don't really want to say much because I'm afraid that I might ruin the story but I'll try not to tell too many things so this is just a short synopsis.

    Evernight takes place in Evernight Academy, wherein Bianca studies. Evernight Academy is a school where vampires along with humans study. Human aren't aware that they're with vampires, and vampires try to hide their identity as much as possible. Biance meets this one hot and gorgeous guy, Lucas. And of course, she'll fall in love with him. Um, so yeah, that's all I can say. I'm sorry!!! I don't really want to spoil you guys because every part of this book is like a plot twist. I just really really recommend it! I mean if you're a huge fan of vampires and Romeo and Juliet, I guess you'll love this as much as I do. I swear that you won't regret it because each book has its own story. I don't even know how Claudia Gray does that, how can she make different stories that are completely connected with each other? I love her so much! Anyway, I just love this and please don't listen to the people on goodreads, they don't know what they're talking about when they're hating on this book! If you haven't read Hourglass yet, or Evernight and Stargazer, please do so that we can talk about Hourglass! This book is so fast-paced, like there's no space to breathe in to because there are too many things that are happening. I barely survived! Okaaaaay, I can't wait to talk about this book! 


   Hi, hi, hi! If you're reading this then you're probably done reading Hourglass, right? I hope that you also liked the book because I did, and I've got so many things to say that I don't know how to explain things properly but maybe I'll just start off with the irony of Bianca joining the pack of vampire hunters. The idea of it makes me laugh! How she was training on how to kill vampires when she's a vampire herself. It’s just cute; I think it's really cute. But Black Cross scares me more than vampires, I feel like they're the bad guys even though I don't have any idea who's on the dark side and who's not. I wonder how they can sustain a life even if they're broke. How do they make money anyway if they isolate themselves so much? Like there's this time when Lucas's savings was revealed by Eduardo, how they said that it’s against the law. Maybe that’s the reason why they’re not as rich as the vampires. And that scene though, I feel sad for Lucas because he worked hard for the money! He is so sweet to do that for Bianca. Bianca even thought to herself that it was nice to think that Lucas is saving for both of them to get away from the Black Cross. Lucas is so sweet, I love him. All his efforts for Bianca, makes my heart ache every time. I feel like he’s doing so much to protect her and not to hurt her in any way possible, like she’s the most fragile thing ever. Every time he says “I’m going to take care of you”, I die inside every single time! I love how he’s willing to give his blood to Bianca despite knowing the consequences that’s behind the act. How he got jealous about Balthazar, aww that’s so cute! How he accepts her even though Bianca is a vampire who eats pigeons, street rats and other birds—which by the way I find so funny. And don’t even forget his lopsided smile that kills me every time!!! There are just a lot of good things about Lucas and I like him so much for Bianca even though I also love Balthazar. 


       Speaking of Balthazar, you don’t know how shocked I was when I knew that he was held captive by the Black Cross; I was so scared for him all that time. I don’t expect him to come out just like that. I was just as surprised as the attack of the vampires to the Black Cross cell. It was all of a sudden, like 85 pages sudden!!! I know that they’ll eventually attack because of Bianca’s stupidity for sending the email even though Lucas told her not to. But the attack was such a surprise like it was just yesterday when Bianca sent the email and then the next day they’re there. A lot of things surprised me during the attack. One is when Bianca discovered that drinking Lucas’s blood can make them somewhat connected, even though I know that’s already given but it still surprised me. Second is when Eduardo was killed by Mrs. Bethany. Third is when Mrs. Bethany gave Bianca a chance to go back. Lastly is when Balthazar was kept as a prisoner. I thought Balthazar already moved on Bianca but he obviously didn’t and I knew that when my heart fluttered because of what he did to protect Bianca—when he wanted to look at her but then dropped his gaze because he’s scared that the Black Cross might know that they knew each other. He’s such a good guy, I like him. My love for him and Lucas is almost the same, I feel guilty about loving them both (as if I’m the one to choose between them). Bianca is probably one of my favorite female protagonists of all-time. Yes, she can be stupid sometimes but she’s a kick-ass girl and she deserves to be with a kick-ass boy. She knows what is the right thing to do and same goes with Lucas. She told Lucas about Balthazar being held captive, and Lucas despite his jealousy over the past relationship of Bianca and Balthazar, he did what he could to save Balthazar. The way of how they saved Balthazar was funny, though hahaha! I literally cracked up with their act. They’re geniuses, including Balthazar! To come up with a story that fast, that’s just gold!

      Another thing that really surprised me (MANY THINGS SURPRISED ME IN THIS BOOK LIKE I’M NOT EVEN JOKING) is that Lucas is already a vampire!!!!! WHAT!!! I seriously have no idea that he’s officially becoming a vampire. I know that it’s the consequence of him giving his blood to Bianca, but omg!!! I don’t actually think that he’d become one! I literally screamed when he stood in front of Bianca to protect her from the holy water and he was affected by it and I was like WHAT THE HECK? WHERE DID THAT CAME FROM? I feel like the situation became worse because of what happened, like they’d be double-dead. I was so surprised!!! Lucas is scared of becoming a vampire himself and he’s not even aware that he’s turning into one! I don’t honestly know how Claudia Gray can blow my mind over and over and over again. But before that scene, the part where Bianca was caught drinking blood by Dana and Raquel? Ugh, thank part made my heart beat so fast because I’m scared that they might tell the Black Cross about Bianca’s true form; but I trusted them, especially Raquel. . . Until Raquel disappointed me! I didn’t expect that she’d be the one to tell the Black Cross, because she’s nice and they are friends! Bianca has been there for her all along. I mean, I know that she hated vampires, but Bianca should’ve been an exception! Can’t she see that Bianca is a friend to her? When Eliza told them to “Get up” I was so scared that it nearly killed me. I knew that someone told Eliza about Bianca. I was like “Dana, how could you?” I hated Dana all the while when she was driving the truck, like she’s pretending as if nothing happened. But when I knew that she made a plan about Bianca and Lucas’s escape, I wanted to hug her tight and I felt pretty much ashamed for blaming her for what happened. I should’ve trusted her, not Raquel who is a back-stabbing idiot.

   You don’t know how happy I am when they finally escaped from Black Cross. I felt so claustrophobic around their cell and the events. Like there’s no space for me to imagine that they’re doing all those training for a good cause, that picture is just too blurry for me to visualize. I’ve been waiting for the part where Lucas and Bianca will just get the hell out of there and live normal lives. I know that they wouldn’t have a “normal life” but close to that would suffice. So when they finally escaped, thanks to Dana the genius, I felt relived but worried at the same time since they don’t have any money to sustain a good life. And then they asked for help from Balthazar, and that part is so funny haha, I cracked up! Balthazar is so rich, I can’t even. I mean, why would you carry $700? And then how he said he’s got more and told them about his businesses throughout his entire lifetime hahaha omg that’s so cute! I’m really glad that he held them despite his feelings for Bianca, I love him even more. And for the first time since they were in Evernight Academy, everything seems normal, as if I’m reading a cute contemporary novel!! My heart flutters every time they do something normal, it’s so normal that I seemed to forget that I’m reading a paranormal book! I wish that they’d be like this, always but of course I also missed the action. I’m really happy because Bianca and Lucas have supportive friends like Balthazar, Vic and Ranulf (MY FAVE CHARACTER!! He is so cute and adorable!!), especially when Bianca got sick. Ugh, that part though!!! I’m so scared of what will happen to Bianca. I know that something will go wrong; in the back of my mind I knew that she’s going to be a wraith but I didn’t expect her to actually be one! It was all of a sudden, I haven’t even given a hint or a warning. I felt really sad for both Balhazar and Lucas. I felt Lucas’s longing and sadness when Bianca died, it is as if his sadness kept digging this hole in my heart and made my heart and his connected in some ways. Remembering his face and actions when Bianca died gives me Goosebumps right now that I’m talking about it. I can’t believe that Bianca died; I didn’t even know what to feel that time. I know that she’s already a wraith, that’s already given since she still existing but the fact that she’s not a vampire anymore blew my mind away, like I can’t process everything that’s happening. But as the story goes on, I feel like being a wraith is soooo cool and kick-ass! I love to become a wraith myself! Now the gang is complete: Lucas is a vampire hunter, Balthazar and Ranulf are vampires, Vic is a human and Bianca is wraith! Hahaha!

    I don’t really want to talk about Charity, I feel like she’s not really important in the book, like she’s just there to annoy the readers. They’ve already have enough enemies, she shouldn’t have came and barge in. She just annoys me, she kept on doing things to make situation worse than it already is. Like how she started the war between the Everrnight Academy and the Black Cross who are currently in peace with each other, how she tries to lure his brother by using Bianca, and how freaking annoying she is. She’s not that important so I’m going to leave her behind this review, she doesn’t deserve to be talked about. All I care about is the fight at the end!! Omg Bianca is so freaking cool! She can teleport like a boss, vanish into thin air like a boss, electrocute people like a boss and float around without being seen like a boss! But she has a weakness which is such a downer! I wish she hadn’t but that would be too unfair for the other races. I can’t wait to read Afterlife!!! Which totally makes sense now. Before I was wondering, why afterlife?? Maybe because she’s already a vampire, but no she’s literally dead haha that’s so cool! But I’m not going to read the next book since that will be the second to the last I’m not ready yet. Anyway, I’m going to end this book review here!!! Hope you guys liked it! Talk to you soon!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment