Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Elite by Keira Cass


(This is an old review + I'm going to add some things that I haven't mentioned when I wrote this review. I was so annoyed when I wrote this book so yeah haha)
   I’m a making a book review about this because I’m seriously mad with everything about this book. To be honest, I don’t know what to feel. It’s like I was betrayed, heartbroken and confused all at the same time. The way Kiera Cass cliff-hanged the reader is not the “good” type. That reader would probably be pissed off and stop reading her novel. There are two type of how you should leave the reader: 1) Is to make them wait for the next installment because the story was incomplete in a kind of way. 2) Is to make them put the book down a slap it on anyone’s face because you’re pissed with how the story ended. It was incomplete in a bad way that you don’t want to read it again. And Cass was somewhere in between or maybe more on the #2 side.  (Updated part) Anyway, so I'm obviously angry right now not because I hate the book, well, I hate parts of the book where Maxon and America are just completely dumb, but all in all-- I LOVED IT. I loved it so much that I really can't wait for the third book to come out soon! If you haven't read The Selection yet, then you should!!!! I really recommend it for those who like books with princesses and a prince on it. Don’t worry!!! It's not your typical fairytale book, it contains a lot of twists and turns that is really unexpected, trust me.

            I can’t really give a synopsis from this book, since it’s the sequel to The Selection so let me just give you a little story about The Selection, and hoping to make a review about again (I made an old review about it but it’s too short to even bother) after rereading the book. The Selection is about a girl named America who’s living in this country, Illea. Illea is a new country that was created after World War IV, so the story takes place in the future. So, the prince of Illea is now finding a girl to marry through the Selection, which is the usual way of finding the wife of the future king. Maxon, the prince of Illea and the heir of the throne, is holding this usual “competition” for all the girls of Illea between the ages 16 to 24 are required to sign up for the competition, but only 34 are chosen from the hundreds or thousands of these bachelorettes. But, our protagonist, America is currently in a relationship with the handsome and gorgeous, Aspen, so she’s not really in for the Selection. There’s a downside about Aspen though, his caste is too low to give America a good life. Caste is like the ranking or economic status of your family, something like that. Both of Aspen and America have low caste, so if America won or got picked from the Selection then her caste, alongside with her family will increase.

            The story mainly revolves around the palace and how the girls build their way up to Maxon’s heart. It’s really cute and I’m sure that majority of you would love it!!! I loved it so much. So if you haven’t read The Selection yet, you better be!! It’s a good and quick read, TheOne, which is the last book of the series, will also come out this May. Go grab a copy of The Selection and The Elite and go back here and let’s have a chat!




(Updated because I had to delete my old reaction because it’s just too much hahaha)
            The memory of reading and the emotions while reading the book is still crispy as a bacon strip. I was having a good read, and kinda annoyed at some points. What I want to talk about first is what happened to Marlee. It was pretty gore if you ask me. I didn’t saw that one coming!!! I was so shocked and scared when there was a sudden meeting or what happened, I don’t know what’s it about but books always do that, so it’s pretty normal. Anyway, let me just start of by saying how bitch Celeste is, like seriously? Do you really have to rip her gown for no apparent reason, or just because you’re attitude is inappropriate? I’m wondering why she’s even in the competition…. Oh, now I remember because Maxon likes you body… right. Okay, getting off the track there! I was so surprised when that incident with Marlee happened. And how she was out in a snap like that in the Selection? I didn't know that she's seeing that guy. I had no idea, I saw how she sneaked with the guy but still!!! She's so sweet and I felt like it was impossible for her to commit such crime. But I'm happy that her and America doesn't have to compete in the end because I'd seriously root for Marlee.


            You see, America is the most indecisive and confusing character ever, like she’s utterly stupid. She has done so many things to annoy the heck out of me!!! For a second she’ll promise Maxon something, and just because that incident with Marlee happened she’ll be like okay let’s forget about the promise Maxon because I hate you. Umm, hello? As if it’s Maxon’s fault that Marlee broke the rules! Plus, the thing about America is she’s having some major cold feet which is really annoying if you ask me. If you haven’t moved on yet, just tell it to Maxon!!! Don’t go around sneaking and kissing some other guys! It’s freaking annoying!! How can you cheat like that? How can you cheat to someone who treated nothing but kindness to you? America’s always like: I need time, Maxon will agree, because he’s a gentleman like that. But the hell you need time, maybe you need time to flirt around with two guys. She feels guilty about the crime, yet she keeps on doing it every night. I can’t even. Now I understand why Maxon would flirt with some other girls, too. Here are the reasons why: 1) It’s a freaking contest America, it’s not just about you! 2) All America did to Maxon is cheat on him, break his heart and make him wait. How could he not kiss and be kind with other girls? 3) America did the same to him. She’s a big fat cheater. How dare she get mad at Maxon when she saw him kissing with Celeste when she herself does the same thing? If she loves him, she should break up AGAIN with Aspen, and just say yes to Maxon!!! She doesn’t have the right to be mad at Maxon, because he’s the prince and he loved her despite all the temptations of the other gorgeous-looking girls in the palace.


            About New Asia… Let’s see here. I don’t know if the story about this is progressive since it’s just like a side story, or just something to fill up or add in the story. Without New Asia, it’ll just be the same, I swear. But it’s still a good way to balance things out. I loved how the story goes with this one; the mystery behind those bandits that steal things, or ruin the palace with no definite reason and everyone doesn’t have an idea why. I think the reason will probably blow my mind at the last book, well, I hope so.


            I have a high expectation for The One since there are a lot of questions that are still boggling my mind and I think it’s because of the information overload that’s in this book. I hope that Kiera Cass can conclude everything up and give us a clear view of America’s feelings because right now she is the most confusing person in the world. It’s like she never moved on from Aspen, like she’s stuck there, stagnant in this little puddle of their old relationship; it is as if Maxon were never there. The last book should be really good enough to make us see how much America deserves to win the Selection, but if she doesn’t at least give her a part wherein she change something and help Illea or something like that. At least let her have a chance to change the country, because if not I will literally start the World War IV. Hahaha! Seriously.


            So yeah, this is my book review for The Elite! I’m sorry if I skipped The Selection, but I’m hoping to reread the first book as soon as possible or before The One comes out! Nonetheless, I hope you all liked this book review and comment down below what are your thoughts about The Elite, I would love to read all your reactions for the book! Talk to you, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment