Monday, April 21, 2014

The Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare


The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Clare
Series review // Prequel to The Mortal Instruments Series
Cover rating: 5 out of 5
Writing style: 5 out of 5
Story: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

    I'm still in the process of fixing myself and sinking everything in my mind. This trilogy literally ruined my life in good way (haha is there something like that?) but seriously it is such a great read that it affected me greatly. I had mental and emotional breakdowns here and there while reading the books. I marathon-ed this series in a week, and I can say that it's the best week of my summer. I'm not overstating my experience because I really really did enjoy reading this trilogy. I was freaking out on twitter, tumblr and here in my house because of all the happenings and plot twists. I can say that this series is a literal roller coaster ride of emotions. You'll find yourself crying, laughing and going crazy, I swear, I'm not joking! There came a point on that week when I've read this series that I was so depressed that I literally didn't do anything normal in a day. I stopped reading and just stared at the ceiling while tears stream on my face for the whole day. TID has the most complicated and heartbreaking love triangle. This quote from the book pretty much sums up the trilogy, I swear!
"How could three people who cared for one another so much cause one another so much pain?"
  The love triangle is just too much. I found myself caught up in the middle of it. I'm like "Oh Jem.. please don't be sad" or "Oh, by the Angel... Will, I'm so sorry....". It's like a battle of happiness and sadness. I'm both Jessa and Wessa shipper so I can't really make up my mind whether I should be sad or happy in a situation. For example, Tessa will become sweet to Will, I'll feel happy for Will but feel sad for Jem. I swear that you'll end up fighting with yourself. Okay so right now the emotions I felt are drowning me and crashing me in like waves. Ugh, guys, it is such a great series!!!! Cassandra Clare, you are such a great author. I love you so much but at the same time I hate you. Haha. How can you write books that can make a huge impact on your readers? You're my favorite author! I seriously idolize you. But you don't have to ruin my life. *cries blood* Anyway, all I'm saying is that TID is the best thing ever. I am lost for words on how to tell you how much I loved it. I think that if I'm going to reread this series, my emotions will always be the same despite the fact that I already knew what will happen; my heart will always be torn in half.

SYNOPSIS (Clockwork Angel):

  This book is basically about a girl who don't know who she is, what she is and it seems like everything she believed in is a lie. The series will unravel her identity and her powers. The protagonist, Tessa Gray moved to London to live with her brother. She was supposed to meet her brother but two women came to meet her instead and told her that they're there to fetch her as her brother, Nate, asked them to. Her life started to change when she entered the carriage with the two women. She'll discover the Shadow World. She'll discover that the world she lived in before is much different from what she can see now. The antagonist of the story-- the Magister-- wants her because of what she can do so the Shadowhunters of the London Institute decided to protect her because if the Magister gets a hold of her, that would cause a huge chaos.

  So yeah, that's the main story of the series, I guess? I don't want to say too much because when I've read the first book I had no idea what's it about but that made everything a fun experience! It is filled with mystery because Tessa has no idea of what she can do and what she is like if she's a Shadowhunter or a Downworlder. I think that the romance stands out more compared to The Mortal Instruments. The love triangle is a part of the story, it is somewhat focused to it. Because in TMI Jace and Clary's relationship isn't really the "main thing" but in TID the love story of Jem, Will, and Tessa is focused. I mean that's what I think. The book is also about who will Tessa choose between Will and Jem? Will is arrogant and the bad-boy kind -of-guy, Jem, however, is of course the opposite of Will. But you'll love both of them! And oh! The books take place in the 18th century! 

RECOMMENDATION:
  I loved this series so damn much, I highly recommend it! I swear that you won't regret reading the trilogy. If you liked The Mortal Instruments then you should definitely try reading this series because it's the prequel to TMI, it's like the ancestors of our main characters in TMI! The story takes place in the 18th century so you'll definitely love the vintage feels to it, the beautiful dresses and the gentlemen. The men back then are to die for! They really treat women with respect and that is one of the things I liked from the books. TID is a ticket to time travel back to the past where the Shadowhunters wear gowns and coats. Aaaah it is such a great book!!! I don't know if I've already convinced you to pick the book up but I wish I did because IT IS EPIC! I swear by the Angel that you won't regret opening the book. You won't even put it down! 
  
  As I've said this is the prequel to TMI so you'll obviously get to know more about the Shadow World and then there are also things that will fall into place. You'll find yourself realizing things that are connected to TMI. Cassandra Clare is a genius I swear. She weaved the series through as if weaving is her job not a writer hahaha but aaaah it's so mind blowing! I LOVE THIS TRILOGY SO SO MUCH. YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA. Please read it!!!

SERIES REVIEW: 
{ Without Spoilers & What to expect while reading the series // read this part if you want to have an idea what the books are about, I won't spoil you, trust me!}
  • The love triangle is phenomenal! I don't know how many times I'm going to say this but your heart will literally be torn into two; and these two pieces will fight each other. Jem and Will are both perfect, I'm sure you'll love them both-- especially when you got to know them better! Jem is so sweet and such a gentleman. He is so fragile and aaah~ He also plays the violin! If you like sweet, gentle and delicate guys, you'll surely love Jem! I think Will is like Jem but with a kick. Will is sarcastic, funny, sweet, adorable and arrogant. Haha, but if you got to know him better and his love for Tessa, your heart will melt like an ice cream on a summer day. Jem and Will love Tessa so much, its crazy! Their love for her is beyond fathomable. They're willing to sacrifice everything for her. AND OH, I forgot to tell you guys, Jem and Will are best friends (like brothers, even!) and they also love each other so much. Hahaha I swear that they literally love each other like they both love Tessa which breaks my heart into pieces. I think I also ship Jem and Will together, hahaha. They're parabatai! Oh god, the love triangle is too much, okaaaaaaay. I hope you won't have breakdowns like I did.
  • The plot twists will literally blow your mind into pieces. There are a lot of things that I didn't saw coming. I WAS SO SHOCKED THAT I FELT LIKE MY SOUL LEFT ME. I'm not kidding! The plot twists are epic. This is also one of the million things that I loved about this book. Cassandra Clare is an author that I absolutely look up to. She can make things so twisted that you, yourself is tied in between the knots of the story. 
  • The mysteries in the books are definitely mind-boggling. There are a lot of questions that will occupy your mind while reading the book like: "What is Tessa? Is she a Shadowhunter? What is she?" "Why is the Magister so obsessed with Tessa? What does she posses that interests the Magister so much?" "Is it possible to choose between Jem and Will? How can Tessa choose between the two of them? Oh my god." "What is going to happen?! AAAH!" Those aren't just the questions you'll ask yourself, there's a ton of questions that will make you crazy enough to fly through the series. 
  • The connections with The Mortal Instruments series. There are a lot of things that were passed through the generations. Like Isabelle's whip, the portal, the necklace Isabelle has-- the little things! There are also characters in the series that will make you rip your hair out of their roots haha. But seriously! While reading the book my jaw will always drop open. Cassandra Clare really did a great job in making a bridge from TID to TMI!
  • The humor! There are a lot of scenes that got me laughing hysterically. Hahaha, everyone is so funny in this book, really!!! Especially Will! I have a crap ton of fave funny scenes in this series. I can't believe that they can actually joke around with the things going on. Aaaaaah, the books are so perfect in every way and little ways. 
  • And lastly, I'd like to warn you that you'd feel a lot of things that your heart will reach the point where it can't take any emotions anymore. I had that time when I was reading the epilogue, my heart hurts so bad and so, I closed Clockwork Princess and hugged it and just cried for a matter of 15 minutes. I have a weak heart for books like these, I can't even believe I survived reading a book filled with waves of emotions and I am out of breathe because I'm drowned in the sea of my own tears. To be honest, the memories of me reading the trilogy is still fresh. My chest still hurts whenever I think about the turn of events. I mean, it was a good ending and all, I'm pretty sure everyone wouldn't hate the ending. I didn't hate the ending but a huge part of me is still holding on to it and the story, itself. I just don't want the series to end. *cries* I don't want it to end like that. I don't even want it to end. If I were to choose what I enjoyed more between the two series of the Shadowhunter books, I'd choose The Infernal Devices and kudos to TID because I love TMI so much. I cannot deny the fact that reading this trilogy is the best thing I've ever done in my life.

Sooo, I was supposed to make a series review but I ended up talking about each books instead. I realized that the post became so long that I decided to just make a separate reviews and book talks for Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess. I just loved the books so much  I can't help myself. I'm sorryyy!! But I'll post the reviews this month! :-) Hope you liked this series review + I hope that I encouraged you to read it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment