Friday, April 25, 2014

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Book One to the The Infernal Devices Trilogy
Cover rating: 5 out of 5
Writing style: 5 out of 5
Story: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

    I already made a series review about this so I guess I don't need to explain much further? I think I'm just going to give you a synopsis about it and then go straight ahead to the spoiler-y part of the review. If you want to check out the series review: The Infernal Devices Trilogy x Series Review Hope you'd check it out! To be honest I was going to just make one review for the whole thing but as I went along I found myself writing a review for each of the books so I decided to just make separate reviews for each! The trilogy is so great, I definitely recommend it to all (though I'm not sure if its for everyone, nonetheless, I liked it very much that's why I want you to read it~). 

    I'm going to divide the reviews in two parts, one for battle scenes and one for love scenes just because it feels like it's supposed to be that way. There's a whole different story between the two. Try this, if you've read the whole series you can totally tell the story of love triangle without saying much from the thing with the Infernal Devices. Right??? Or it's just me? Anyway, I hope that this would work because I have no idea how to review the books, seriously! There are a lot of things that I want to talk about and share with you guys including all the feel but I literally have no idea how to do so but I'll try since I want you to know what I felt and then maybe you could relate to be somehow. 

(I'm also going to feature some of sheehanmebaby's works! They are so pretty!)

SYNOPSIS (Clockwork Angel):
  This book is basically about a girl who don't know who she is, what she is and it seems like everything she believed in is a lie. The series will unravel her identity and her powers. The protagonist, Tessa Gray moved to London to live with her brother. She was supposed to meet her brother but two women came to meet her instead and told her that they're there to fetch her as her brother, Nate, asked them to. Her life started to change when she entered the carriage with the two women. She'll discover the Shadow World. She'll discover that the world she lived in before is much different from what she can see now. The antagonist of the story-- the Magister-- wants her because of what she can do so the Shadowhunters of the London Institute decided to protect her because if the Magister gets a hold of her, that would cause a huge chaos.


{ With spoilers }

   Oh this book. I don't even know how to start talking about it. I felt a lot of things okay, but mostly from shock and hatred toward Will (don't worry I love him). I just hate some things that Cassandra Clare made me feel. And I felt this feeling in TMI, too! For a moment Will and Tessa are okay and sweet and stuff then the next moment they'll hate each other. I just don't get it okay! It's like Clace all over again. Despite that, I also felt so surprised in every revelation that were in this book. There's just too much to handle! Knowing who the Magister is, Tessa's brother, and everything in the London Institute. I liked this book a lot. I think that Cassandra Clare did a great job in giving us an introduction to the series. It's not totally an introduction but I already had a vivid image of what the 18th century looks and feels like, and I loved that very much! The ambiance is so historical and beautiful. 

- Battle scenes:
  • There are a lot of things that shocked the soul out of me when I read Clockwork Angel. There are a lot of plot twists in the book and I can't help but gasp every single time a revelation came up while reading the book. And out of all I think knowing who the Magister is shocked me the most. I feel so bad for de Quincey, haha he was caught in a set up. He was killed in the process! I couldn't blame the Shadowhunters for assuming that de Quincey is the Magister because who would have thought that it was Mortmain? He was a mundane for the Angel's sake. At first I thought he was just a Magister-wannabe. I have to say that his acting was good! To fool the entire clan of Shadowhunters? Well, that's something you can't do often. But de Quincey wasn't acting innocent at all so he looked he was really the mastermind behind the Pandemonium Club. And you know what's weird?????? In TMI there is also a club (like the place) called Pandemonium!!! Is it somewhat connected???

(Photo credits: sheehanmebaby.)

  • That scene on de Quincey's party or whatnot; that probably was my favorite part! It had so much action in that scene! I liked the part where Will was like "I'm not a boy, I am a Nephilim" that was pretty rad!!!!! And then everything was in chaos all of a sudden! With the fire going on because of Henry's failed invention, Tessa going all over the place, and then Jem and then Charlotte with her whip and the Shadowhunters that attacked in!! Everything was so cool and intense, I definitely loved every single moment of it. But I wish they left that freaking Nate behind!! HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE SAVED OH THAT GUY I WANNA STRANGLE HIM. 
  • I just can't believe that Nate!!! NATE OUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE would betray his own sister. I don't care about his family issues but what the heck? Who could do that to their sister? That's just freaking sick. He knows the plans of Mortimain and he still wants to give his sister to the Magister? Okay, that is hella insane. I just can't believe it. After everything the Shadowhunters did for him. They took care of him to his best condition, and this is what he'll repay them? I can't even.
  • And by the Angel, the part wherein Jem and Tessa were attacked by the clockwork creatures. That was hella scary. If I were them I'd probably faint halfway from all the running. And I have to say that Mortmain is pretty smart. That ambush that he planned to the London Institute, I was so freaking nervous I don't even know what to do. It's like I badly want to insert myself in the book hoping that I may give a hand to Tessa and the people there. Okay, I seriously don't know how to talk about this because there are three things that are going on. And Cassandra Clare, oh you genius, you! She did a great job at explaining everything that's happening and that is a tough job. She didn't exactly gave a narration for the attack of the Shadowhunters to de Quincey and I think that's okay because it's completely unnecessary. Okay so I'm going to try to tell you my insights about the scene with the Dark Sisters and Mortmain's attack in the London Institute:
  • At first I was so scared for Jem and Will because they are the only two who went to the Dark Sister! I can't say that they are stupid because there's nothing to call on to and Mortmain is smart, I'd have to give him credit for that. He really lured Jem and Will to the Dark Sisters so he can have Tessa for himself. He knows that with Jem and Will there with Tessa he has no chance of standing up to them. So when the duo left the Institute DRAMATICALLY, my heart thumped so loud when the knob turned. I AM SO FREAKING SCARED OKAY. No one was in the Institute except Tessa, Nate, the servants and that good-for-nothing Jessamine (I started to hate her I thought that she'd develop into a cool and kick-ass character like Isabelle but NO, sighs, where's the character development on her I barely seen anything!). I knew that  no one can open the Institute doors without Shadowhunter blood before I even read the series, so I stopped reading the book for a moment. I thought "How could've Mortmain opened the doors? He's just a mundane! How can he have a Shadowhunter's b. . . . oh. . . JEM!!!" And with that everything fell right into place, and in that second, I knew that they're doomed. No one  is trained there. And maybe there's a Shadowhunter in the house but Jessamine sucks. God, I hate that girl. I literally panicked. When Jem and Will realized what's going on, they also panicked, they are so damn cute omg omg! Their thought synchronized immediately "Tessa." THAT WAS SO SWEET YOU GUYS! ♥
(Photo credits: sheehanmebaby.)
So now that the both party knows what's going on, I'm literally screaming "JEM AND WILL PLEASE RUN FASTER OMG OMG OMG OMG" I thought that Will would somehow save Tessa but when he got there she was already dead. You have no idea how my heart leaped out of my chest but of course I knew that she won't die, she's the main character for Angel's sake! I was just wondering "Maybe that's one of her powers? She can regenerate or something..?" I'm crying for Will, when he knelt by her side and hugged her "dead" body, he was so lost and so sad.. For the first time, I found Will vulnerable. That was incredibly sweet. I can't even. And then he felt Tessa's heartbeat he instantly lit up, omg, that was such a beautiful scene. *sighs* They are the sweetest! But I hated the fact that he pushed her away, again. (even though I know why, before I hated Will for always leaving Tessa hanging but now that I already knew why, it kills me *crieeeeees!!!*
  • I have to give credit to Tessa for her Boadicea moment. I'm so proud of you!!! Me and Will are proud~ I thought that she wouldn't do something spectacular or memorable in this book but this is beyond amazing. How could she have thought of that? And how can Mortmain never saw her Change? Nevertheless, I liked this part a lot, I think I saw a little character development here!
  • I am still wondering what she might be? Mortmain said that she's a warlock? I mean he kinda said that, right? And Magnus also told her that she's a warlock.... So maybe she is a warlock! BUT I'm wishing that she's part Shadowhunter.
- Love scenes:
  I have no idea who Will and Jem was at first, I swear. All I know is that Tessa loves Will, and Jem is just a guy that I'd hate but I LOVED THEM BOTH. I think that I love them at the same level. I don't think that I've ever experienced that. I mean, in the Shatter Me series I both liked Adam and Warner but I know that I love Warner more! However, in this series, my heart literally don't know who to choose. Despite the fact that I've already finished the trilogy, I'm going to try to tell you what I really felt when I've read Clockwork Angel! I'm going to pretend that I haven't finished it yet haha
Will:
  • I hated Will's attitude towards Tessa because it's pretty obvious that Tessa likes him! And he just kept on pushing her away, and I hated that. I was wishing that Tessa would wake up from her stupidity and see that Jem is there, loving her and showing her how important she was. I know that Will also loves Tessa, it is so freaking visible, I can see it! But that's what I don't get about him, why does he kept on telling her to go away when all he really wanted was for her to stay? 
  • Remember that time in the attic where Tessa had her first kiss with Will and then the guy was like "Tess, come over here and sit by me." when he said that I was incredibly happy, I thought that WIll would finally tell her that he loves her! Everything was going to well, my heart was fluttering, my stomach was filled with butterflies. And then Will also said "Tessa. What do you want from me?" OKAY THAT WAS FREAKING SWEET YOU GUYS! For a moment they were kissing and I was so so so happy because I like Will, I think he deserves someone like Tessa, and then the next second was like "Tessa get the f out here, leave me alone, just go out!" AND I WANNA STRANGLE THE LIFE OUT OF WILL. By the Angel!!! What is wrong with that guy? He obviously LOVE her! After that, I felt sad for Tessa because that was her first kiss and it was with a jerk like Will. (I'm sorry Will, I love you *cries* I know why you did that sorry if I'm saying this to you but I love you okay?
  • Another I-don't-like-you-Tessa-stay-away-from-me-moment of William Herondale: When they were at the rooftop and I seriously had my hopes up this time after what happened in the Sanctuary, I thought his walls really came down for Tessa. I thought that he'd stop being so cold to her. BUT NO. Will was like "So you like me, huh? Okay, so we'll use your bedroom because Jem usually goes to my room so maybe we can have our you-know-what sessions in your room. It's good to know that you're an infertile warlock so I can't get you pregnant, so we can't have babies because warlocks can't have children, HA HA HA. So it's settled then? Okay, now go away" I. JUST. WANT. TO. STAB. WILL. OH MY GOD THE GUTS OF THAT GUY!!!  Ugh (but of course I love Will)
  • I thought that maybe there's a reason why Will kept on pushing Tessa away? Maybe it's because of Jem. They're best friends and I think Will noticed Jem's feelings for Tessa? When I've read the Prologue for Clockwork Prince (since it's included in the book!) I saw that Will is trying to find a love potion, not really love potion it's like an "unlove" potion. My emotions were all over the place. I realized, "OMG HE IS DOING THIS FOR JEM OMG WILL I LOVE YOU." I thought that he really loves Jem that much that he's willing to forget his feelings for Tessa. 
Jem:
  • Jem didn't show up when Tessa came to the Institute and I had an impression of him that he's a snob, serious or something. So we didn't have a good start. Tessa heard him playing his violin, at first I thought it was Will but it was Jem (finally, I thought!). When I knew that Jem knows how to play the violin, he got my heart immediately. And the line that always killed me while reading the book (this line showed up a bunch of times throughout the series and I swear by the Angel that it will pierce your heart every time) "Will? Will, is that you?" Aww Jem and Will's bromance, I ship! //I'm rereading this scene right now and I'm smiling like a crazy girl, this scene is so cute aaaah Jessa!!!!// Their first meeting totally changed my impression of Jem which made the struggles of my heart start.
(Photo credits: sheehanmebaby.)
  • And then that scene on the Blackfriars Bridge ♥  That was beautiful omg. Jem, you are so sweet and kind. I want to go there, too with you. I love how Jem appreciates the little things in life. And I swear that I loved that moment. I got to know Jem better and I loved every single moment of it. 
  • When I knew that Jem had an illness, I was so eager to know what it is but I don't want to spoil myself. I think that is probably one of the reasons why I barely put the book down that day. So when I already knew what his illness was. . . I seriously cried, and it's not the loud cry, there are too many emotions inside me that tears just poured out of my eyes slowly and continuously. I can't believe it. His illness is so complex. It nearly killed me while he was talking about it with Tessa. I felt that in that moment, my love for Jem increased sky high. I don't want to be sad for Jem because I can see that he's trying his best to look okay but that's what hurts me. He's not okay and he pretends to be. My heart sunk when I knew that the thing that keeps him alive is also the one that's killing him. Oh Jem... I love you. *cries slowly* Knowing what illness he'd been suffering from since he was 11 years old was just too much, I badly want to find the cure. Jem doesn't deserve to have something like that, he is so kind, he's like an Angel. 
  • And omg that night when Jem and Will went to attack the Dark Sisters and then OMG OMG OMG THAT PART WAS JUST SO SWEET AND HEART-BREAKING AS WELL! When Tessa lifted her hands but then hesitated because she shouldn't say good bye to Shadowhunters when they're off to battle and then it looks like the two guys stiffened, not sure about what to do and then OUR JEM ♥ He went to Tessa and said "Mizpah" and kissed her freaking hand. That was freaking adorable but my heart broke for Will *CRIES* Poor Will!!

   So yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that I liked Clockwork Angel so much. Aaaaah~

No comments:

Post a Comment