Monday, January 13, 2014

Where She Went by Gayle Forman


   I don't even know how to start this review but I know where it'll end, with me crying. How come this series only comes in two books? Why is life so unfair? Where She Went is the second book installment of If I Stay series. And in this book, the narrator is Adam, which is pretty much a plus for me. It's very often that I encounter romance novels with a guy narrating the story. If I'd have to pick which narrator does the job best I'd have to pick Adam. The way he says his thoughts about the current situation makes me cry sometimes it cracks me up. Gayle Forman is such a good writer, as a girl, telling how a guy works and how guys' mind work is hard, but she wrote it so good and so realistic. I don't want to spoil anyone because this is already the second book so, a little synopsis wouldn't be bad. And I swear, no spoilers! This book, as I've said is narrated by Adam which is Mia's love interest. The story takes place three years after the accident and trauma that Mia experienced. A lot of things happened, and there's a lot of things that we readers have to catch up with. Three years is long time to miss, that's why I wonder how Forman gave us a really good throwback stories which filled up the gaps of our absence. Not exactly detailed, but just the things that can keep us updated with what's happening. This book gave me a lot of emotions and to be honest I cried a lot, not like the cry I experienced in the first book which is like a whimper or probably just a few shed of tears, but the cry that doesn't happen so often. The last time I cried like that was last June, and I can't believe that only a book can make me cry like that again. And the reason I cried last June was because of a heartbreak, and that was the exact emotion that I had that made me cry like that. The Fault in Our Stars is a good example of how you're going to cry in Where She Went. This book is like a ticket to a roller coaster ride of heartbreaks, longing and happiness. 

   Where She Went is a one-of-a-kind, and probably one of the books that are completely and accurately a page-turner. I just can't stop reading it. You know the feeling when you're too hooked up on a book that you just want to stop everything that you're doing and focus only on reading? I've had two Chemistry classes the day I finished the book, and I decided to risk my grades (which means the world to me) just to read. And with that, I finish it in a few hours, I'm not even going to call it a day probably like 10 hours or maybe less. The story is so interesting, and it's too interesting enough to stop. While reading the book I have no idea how will the story go, and it's not predictable I swear. If you've predicted what's going to happen when you've read this book, then I salute you. Because honestly, I don't even have any clue if it's going to have a happy ending or not. I hope that we can have a little conversation about this book! Anyway, I'm going to start telling spoilers now, so if you haven't read the book yet then, DON'T STAY (get it? Like don't stay because if i stay.... okay) Just please read the first and this book because it's so good and I highly recommend it! Come back and let's have a chat (I know that you're going to need it haha) after you've finished the book!


  If you're still reading this then you've probably read the book, and yaaaay! Book talk~ I was so so hooked up with this book, and I'm not even going to lie that Adam's way of telling his thoughts will make you love him more, and you'll feel the same way as he do! All throughout the book, I'm wishing that they'd just settle things out and say that they love each other and read how Mia's sorry about what happened. But of course, Gayle Forman's way of making the story is better than my idea because I love how she made the story realistic. The guy feeling bitter about the girl who left without any reason and goodbyes. I mean, anyone would be bitter about that, right? It's so cute how Adam still loved Mia despite burying her in his heart with bitterness. It seems to me that, because of his anger at her, that made Mia stay in his heart for years. This book is so realistic in so many levels. Adam found a girl whom he thought he could love, but I knew that it's just a rebound. I feel bad for Bryn though, but she kinda deserves it since she's such a brat, I don't like her at all. I don't care if she's famous but I think that throughout their relationship, all she did was take out her jealousy to Adam every time she had the chance to blame him. She wasn't even there to comfort Adam. Adam obviously needs all the support he can get because he looks like he's about to crumple any moment in the book. But Bryn's like keep a good image, I don't want you to ruin yours and mine. And this will be the last time that I'm going to talk about Bryn.

  There are countless times that made my heartbreak, and ache a little that made me tear up, or hold back my sobs. Those lines of Adam that despite his anger for Mia, he still longs for her throughout the years. There are also times that I find his love for her that he disguises as a sign of anger. And I've got a lot of lines that I'd like to share with you that just made my heart melt, or even crack. But this line would probably be the best.
"My gaze returns to earth and when it does, it’s her eyes I see. Not the way I used to see them—around every corner, behind my own closed lids at the start of each day. Not in the way I used to imagine them in the eyes of every other girl I laid on top of. No, this time it really is her eyes. "
   This is a perfect example of how much Adam longed for Mia. Reading it right now makes me cry a little. Imagine the times he's with another girl and think that it's Mia. Imagine how hard that was in his part? That's why this line struck me the most. And what's even cute is the scene after that!! How he battled with himself that he'll just going to listen, he's not going to touch her, kiss her and whatnot. It's so cute!!! He's so adorable. And I was like, how could someone break up with a guy like him? I wouldn't, no one would even dare. And when he got inside the hall, flashbacks of memories came, not just Adam's but also mine. Those memories of how happy they were back then, and now there he was, getting the last-minute tickets when he used to be getting the front seats three years ago. It literally broke my heart. This is one of the great things about this book, the story sucks you in too much that you're feeling everything and it's like you're seeing what the characters are seeing. I felt like I belong in the story , maybe that's why I don't want to stop reading. All throughout the story, it's just the best feeling ever. The little adventures they had with that secret tour that Mia did. How annoyed Adam was because she's acting like nothing happened. How annoyed and confused he with because he tagged along with Mia. He was good at keeping up a friendly face, I'd have to credit him for that. Haha! I think he was being plastic to himself, he acts like he's awkward, and uncomfortable and he thinks that he doesn't like to be with Mia but the truth is, deep inside, he's loving every moment with her. Thinking about what he felt makes me cry omg, really.

I also loved how they were both famous, ugh it's just so perfect!!!! Adam was hiding from everyone because he was afraid that someone might acknowledge him and say "Omg it's Adam Wilde he's so hot" I'd probably say that, haha. Both of them were best in their worlds, Adam being the famous rock star all over the world, as well as Mia being a famous cellist around the globe. That plot is an A+. It's like a chic lit in disguise. Music really helped them a lot. I was sad for Adam because he kinda lost his passion for music, I was also worried sick because of his condition. And then it was so cute when Mia noticed that Adam smokes now, and when Mia called him a Guy!!!! That cracked me up. The mind of Adam when she said that, a little flashback and then full-on rage thoughts. HE'S SUCH A CUTIE, I'm going to turn him as a key chain so that I could carry him everywhere with me. I loved the scene where a journalist/photographer saw Adam and then Mia grabbed him by the wrist and ran like a boss. It's so cute, omg I'm a sucker for those scenes.


The verses of the songs that Adam made in some of the chapter were beautiful. It makes me sad because the lyrics connected me to his feelings when Mia broke up with him without saying anything. The lyrics at the back of the book were gold, I wish I could really hear the original song, performed by the Adam in my head. I'm not really sure what my idea of Adam's appearance is, it's kinda blurry but all I know is he has the most beautiful face that I've ever seen through my imagination. And thinking that a face like that is crying breaks me. I swear, every time he cry, I cry, too. He's may seem tough but the truth is he's as fragile as any human being.
"I’m not sure if the question’s rhetorical or if she thinks I have a clue to her metaphysical mystery. And I’m in no state to answer either way because I’m crying. I don’t realize it till I taste the salt against my lips. I can’t remember the last time I’ve cried but, once I accept the mortification of sniveling like a baby, the floodgates open and I’m sobbing now, in front of Mia. In front of the whole damn world."
And then after he said that, the next chapter is the best. He told the story on how she fell in love with Mia. That's just really sweet.


  I probably talked too much about the book, and that's how much I loved it. Every page gives you the urge to read and read. This will probably one of the best reads I've ever read my whole life. And I all thank Gayle Forman for it, and I'm so excited to see her this Saturday on my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment