Thursday, January 9, 2014

If I Stay by Gayle Forman



   I've finished reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman and it took me two days to finish it, and I swear, it was so good that I'm not even aware that I was so close to finishing it. I just found the book fast-paced, I guess? Or maybe not really fast but there's too much details about the past and I really want to know the present. There's a lot of tears that were shed, like I'm not even joking. While I'm having my Trigonometry class I was reading the book and I started tearing up like a crazy person (or maybe that's just perfect because Trigo is really hard and crying is not unsual). But anyway, the book has a lot of scenes which will make you cry because of the heartfelt talks and flashbacks that will break your heart. Here's a synopsis about the book. So our protagonist is Mia, she's a cellist, has a bad ass personality but a good girl image and has a gorgeous boyfriend. She had a happy family, almost a perfect life if you ask me. But one day, Mia and her family were caught in an accident. The story revolves around her life before, and the present wherein she was fighting a battle with herself if she should stay or not. The reason why this is a must-read is because there's a lot of things that will make your heart melt, or find yourself crying in a public place or by yourself. It'll keep you reading the pages in the search for her decision. If you're into romance, family and life genres then this is a book for you.


   If you haven't read the book yet, go pick it up and read, now. And leave this part because I'm about to blabber about my opinions about the book. There's just too much to talk about!! Okay, now bye and come back if you've read the book!

 
   Hello, if you're reading this then you're probably swooning over Adam, too, isn't he perfect?! I mean, ugh, he's just so sweet. Having a boyfriend playing in a band, and being sweet to you and funny and gorgeous and perfect, how can happy Mia be? Can you even imagine that? I envy her life to be honest. She had an amazing life, with a perfect family, boyfriend and got so many opportunities; I feel bad for her. I was honestly scared that she might really choose to leave because she lost a lot. And that's one of the thousand reasons why I cried. Especially with Teddy!!!!! When I've read that he's dead I was like, NOOOOOOOO!! He's just a cute little boy with a bright future ahead of him. He's so cute and sweet. I can't believe that Gayle Forman would kill him *flips the table* I wish I knew how he was, I wish that Mia somewhat visited the hospital Teddy's in or maybe eavesdropped from a conversation between someone and Willow, because I think Willow took care of Teddy in the hospital? Though I'm not really sure about that, but that's what I believe. I mean, if we could just have a little peek on the current condition of Teddy then maybe I can breathe, even for a second. I have this silly hope that in the book two Teddy would be with Mia and I'll just be the happiest girl alive. Really! When Mia described the car accident, she said that Teddy's alive and okay. I was happy about that because at least this is not as depressing as I thought; but it is depressing. I cried every time Mia talks about her old memories with Teddy and how time flies, and stupid it is. All I want to happen is for Teddy to be alive in the next book!! (if not be ready for nonstop blabbering about my review on the second book).


   Adam. Adam. Adam. You're so perfect and sweet that I could just literally shove myself inside the book just to be with you. I always cry when it's Adam's turn to talk to Mia in her vegetable state. I was imagining myself in his position and how tough it could be if I were him. I was literally sobbing and heartbroken when Adam's started crying because he kept a strong face in front of every one but when he was alone with Mia he just let his feelings out and stop holding back his tears. Adam whose such a strong and outgoing kind-of-guy. A guy that you wouldn't normally see crying or even let you wonder if he ever cries. That's the kind of guy Adam is, and seeing him at that state is like having your heart smashed into pieces. Gayle Forman's way of narrating the scene was like a constant stabbing in your chest.  I stopped holding back my tears (because I was in  a public place that time) and cried a lot when Adam cried for Teddy. Adam was like:
" 'I know I haven't digested what happened to your parents, to Teddy. . .' When he says Teddy, his voice cracks and an avalanche of tears tumbles down his face."
   This was probably one of my favorite parts in the book. You can really see how he really cares about Mia's family, how close he was to them and how much he considered Mia's family as his. Adam was making this talk to Mia about how much she meant to him and there's so many things to live for. (okay he's the sweetest, no doubt about it) He was talking to her casually and comforting her about the things that awaits for her and if she chose to stay, and how much he's willing to sacrifice his career for her *brb crying*. Adam is like a breath of fresh air. Finally a guy that truly speaks up for his feelings, showing his soft side and all that. I mean, I've read a lot of romance novels but there are rare times that I encounter things/speeches like Adam's. But there's a time where I got annoyed with him because when things were going complicated between him and Mia-- he was like "Oh I've got this and that and what". I know that Mia also has her own faults about the situation but I mean, please Adam why won't you give a little time to Mia, like do you really want her to adapt to everything that you do? But of course, that wouldn't even stain my love for him. Okay, I'm sorry if I'm ranting too much about Adam but I mean, he's so adorable I just want to talk about him all throughout this post. There's also this part which I really liked wherein he told Mia that he loves her just the way she is, and his line was so cheesy but I still cried.


    The story was too fast-paced as I've said earlier. I wish that Gayle Forman could add like scenes about Mia going to see Teddy, or going to Adam or what. There are times that these flashbacks just kept on and on and on that I kinda got lost in the story of her past then suddenly it's already the present. It's still a good way of writing, I mean, I like her writing a lot. How she can like insert a memory out of something, it's good even though there are times that I find if confusing. The book is basically a combination of her past and present, which is good since I got to know her better. Each person that came in her room to talk to her, I get a these memories of Mia and then in the end of her story I'll know how deep that their relationship was. That's a really thumbs up for the book. I've got to know the characters more and it made me realize that even a one happy memory can tell you how much that person loved you.


  There's just one question that really bothered me while reading the book and even after finishing it. Who's Nurse Ramirez? At first I thought she was like an angel for Mia or something, and I realized I just created a plot twist or something. Haha. Anyway, I'll end it here. I'm going to read Where She Went tomorrow and I'm excited to see what will happen. Though I've read a few chapters and Adam was the one narrating, I got confused at first. But I don't want to spoil anyone. Okay, bye! Keep your imagination running!

No comments:

Post a Comment